Followers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Crispy Bacon Moment


Let me describe to you what a “crispy bacon moment” is all about and then you can decide whether you have had one or not.

A long time ago, when Joe and I were in our early days of being married, I baked a bacon and mushroom flan, or quiche, if you prefer posh words! I’m not the greatest baker in the world, but I always seemed to “get” pastry.

I am one of these people that save the best bits of a meal to eat at the end. It’s not that I don’t like anything else on the plate, but I like to leave the meal with the taste of the best bit of it in my mouth. On this particular occasion, it was a bit of crispy bacon. I had carefully isolated it from the rest of the flan, put it to one side to enjoy later.

Suddenly, this fork swooped in, stabbed the bacon, lifted it from my plate…and my crispy bacon disappeared into Joe’s mouth.

There was a wordless kind of expression that could be translated as “What?”, followed by a crimson flood of embarrassment.

“I thought you weren’t going to eat it,” was his first comment.

This was swiftly followed by a bit of honesty.

“I had watched the careful, almost loving way you have placed the bacon to one side. I knew you were saving it for your last mouthful…but I just couldn’t resist taking it.”

As I said, that was early in the marriage. These days, if Joe attempted stealing my crispy bacon moments…well, lets just say I’d put my fork to good use!

I had a crispy bacon moment this afternoon. It wasn’t about bacon…or food of any description. It was about time. I just seem to be disappearing under of pile of “To Do”s that that built up to the size of the Empire State Building. I decided that I would set aside a couple of hours, concentrate fully, no distractions and just get one with it. Just like the crispy bacon, I carefully set the time aside, digging out a radio to play quietly in the background while I got on with things. I was going to enjoy the feeling of a job well done and out of the way..

A friend of mine chapped the door, stuck his head around it and came in.

“I know that you’ve had a bit of a hard week. I thought you might appreciate some company.”

It was the last thing I was looking for, but seeing as he was there, I laid aside my Empire State Building of a “To Do” list and dive in to being sociable.

It was a lovely conversation and I did appreciate him stopping by, and the chance to sound off about things. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours.

The Empire State Building is as tall as ever, and still needs to be dismantled. I just wish it wasn’t so temptingly sunny outside!

1 comment:

Pat Guy said...

I have really enjoyed your slices of life Melanie. I'm trying to insert a "Fabulous Blogger Award" but for some reason it won't go through. I guess you'll have to copy and past from my blog - sorry.

But congratulations my friend! She's fabulous and will look good struttin' her stuff on your blog.

Don't know what our time zone difference is - but whatever time it is - may God be filling it with blessings.

Love and hugs,
Pat