Followers

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Once Before

“Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him.”

I am sure that if I asked you to tell me where this bit comes in the gospel accounts, you might rack your brains a wee bit and come up with the wise men, or magi, in the nativity accounts.


It comes in the account of Jesus’ arrest, trial and crucifixion. I have taken a line out of context. In context there is a lot of flogging, and hitting and spitting. There’s a crown of thorns, a purple robe and lots of mockery.

I read through the first twenty or so verses of Mark 15 seeing as I was due to preach/teach/lead discussion this morning in church. Pilate and I have been hanging out for the last week or so with me trying find something to say that hasn’t already been said by someone else saying it so much better than I can anyway!

When I got to that line, it was as if I was seeing the scene and next to it Philippians 2:10 where we are reminded that every knee shall bow.

Those soldiers that had knelt before Jesus and paid homage were going to have to do the whole thing again – not before a humiliated Jesus, but before a King crowned in glory.

It inspired me to write a poem.

Once Before

Once before
Another place
Kneeling I
Beheld Your face

Once before
Another crowd
Cried, “Crucify!”
Defiant, loud

Once before
Another crown
Twisted thorns
Pressing down

Once before
Another King
Purple robe
Homage bring

Mocking laughter
Sneering scorn
Wielding whips
Flesh was torn

I never knew
Kneeling then
That You and I
Would meet again

Kneeling now
Beholding You
Regretting all
I put You through

Radiant crown
Upon your head
Glorious robes
Before me spread

Deserving not
The loving Face
I receive
Amazing grace

© Melanie Kerr 2009

No comments: