Followers

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Paul's chains

Reading the end chapter of the book of Romans, it is hard to remember that Paul is in chains. There is a freedom that he exudes that seems to be at odds with the fact that he isn’t free.

I look at my own life and see that there are no chains. I am not shackled to a wall in a prison. However, the absence of visible chains does not mean that I live free. It seems that there are invisible chains – chains of people’s expectations of me, my own expectations too, fear of what others might think, or my perception of my own limitations, or my lack of faith. So many chains!

It frustrated Paul that he couldn’t go anywhere physically. He wanted to be with the people he was writing to, physically – but he couldn’t. If he couldn’t be there in body, then he made sure that he was there in spirit – through his letters and through his prayers. He found ways of getting around the barriers that could have prevented him from speaking into the lives of the people he held dear.

What would Paul do with the freedom that I have? Would he let it slip through his fingers or would he embrace each and every moment and use it?

Paul didn’t have the freedom that I have – I do! How do I ensure that I do not let it slip through my fingers? How do I embrace each and every moment and use it?

No comments: