Followers

Monday, March 28, 2005

Remembering

For the first few months of last year I regularly wrote to a friend of mine. She was going through a rather tough wilderness time and she never wrote back. I stopped writing for a while because it felt like I was talking to myself. Eventaully she did write and told me that my letters really encouraged her.

Becuase I had typed all the letters on the computer, I had copies of them all. it is nice to re-read the letters and remember the events that happened during that time. If I had not got the letters to look back on I wonder how many of those things would have been forgotten.

The early chapters of the book of Judges highlight that it took just one generation for the Israelites to forget God, to not know what he did in the wilderness for their ancestors. So many things had been put into place to help the people to remember - all the festivals like the Passover, the pile of stones next to the Jordan River - and yet they had forgotten.

I am glad that I kept a copy of my letters on the computer. I can look back over those six months and see the things that God did. I suppose one reason for blogging here is so that I can look back and read it all and remember. If I don't write anything down, I won't have anything to prompt my memory.

No comments: