Followers

Monday, August 18, 2014

Talking Hands

My right hand would like to boast
About every generous gift given
And every gracious deed done

It would love to see them listed
Neatly in some leather bound ledger
With all the numbers carefully added up

If only it could climb
High on a rostrum
And bask in the glow of the crowd’s approval

My right hand would like to present
Some kind of medal to itself
Something tangible to show it’s not taken for granted.

My left hand would like to tell
My right hand that God has missed none of
The gifts given and the deeds done

It would like to remind
My right hand that God weighs the thoughts behind the gifts
And measures the heart beneath the deeds

My right hand would love to ignore
My left hand and the truth that wounds pride
It only wants its five minutes of glory.

My left hand wants all the glory to go to God.
My right hand deep down wants the same.
Both hands are lifted to the heavens in praise to God.

Without God there would be nothing to give

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,” (Matthew 6:3 NIV).

No comments: