Followers

Friday, November 25, 2005

Footprints in the snow

I woke up this morning to a world of snow! It is much colder than I would like it to be. I am also much colder than I would like to be! I remember one year of snow needing to walk to the shop to get milk or bread or something. Either it was the days before we had a car, or the days when the snow was so deeply settled, and my confidence not so. Not being so tall, it can be a real trial ploughing your way through snow. Someone esle had been that way, and I thought that rather than forge my own path, I would just step where he stepped. He didn't take the mincing little steps that I do - no ambling for him. I found myself really stretching from print to print. It was an abnormal stride for me. Quick as a flurry of snow, the Holy Spirit said how much he longed for me to stop my mincing little steps of faith, and my ambling and start striding out in my Christian walk. What was an abnormal stride to me, was his natural pace. If I maintained it, it might also become my normal pace too!

Faithwriters topic this week was "Winter". That incident came to mind and I wrote a poem.


Footprints in the Snow


Winter snow, a crisp cold blanket
Covers all in glistening white
Trees bow low with branches heavy
Bathed in yellow morning light

All is silent, sound is smothered
Still the air, with peaceful calm
Here I walk with careful measure
Captured by the winter charm

Someone else has walked before me
Steps like stains upon the snow
Dark and deep, they mark his passing
On the path, his route they show

I begin to fill his footprints
Treading out to walk his way
Step by step, my pace is stretching
Matching stride I aim to stay

Tall this man with legs extended
In his steps I move so slow
Always striving pushing forward
His, the way I choose to go

Picture this, my walk with Jesus
His own steps I make my own
Onward pressing, forward slowly
As he makes my pathway known

In step with him, always trusting
Faith so small will surely grow
As my walk grows ever closer
Joy complete I’ll come to know

1 comment:

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Ahh, that's a keeper! Like that Footprints in the sand.

Superimpose it over a picture of long footprints in a snowy scene and you have a Christmas present for friend and family.