Followers

Friday, May 20, 2005

Worry Worry Worry

Joe once had a dog that he insisted talked. I am sure that lots of people think their pets talk. I seem to remember a long time ago a dog entertaining the nation on “That’s Life” by saying the word “sausages”. Joe’s dog did not say anything so inane as “sausages”, but leaned his head on Joe’s knee and said, “Worry, worry, worry.”

At the time, I think Joe had just come back from the hospital after having an operation to remove an in-growing toenail. His foot was swathed in bandages and Joe was looking miserable and uncomfortable and in pain.

I feel that this week, if Joe’s dog was still around, his head would be resting on my knee and he would be repeating “Worry, worry, worry.” There have been times this week when I have felt the world on my shoulders. For the most part it has focussed on Patrick and Shannon, but the car needing to be repaired has also added to burden. I can cope with a number of things if they happen one after the other, but when they all flock in like a swarm of locusts, I begin to loose it.

I decided that I would find some time to do some catching up on the reading plan I am following. ! Chronicles is a bit of a slog with all the lists of people. In among it all there are small gems. Jabez and his prayer is in there. There is also a little verse about the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half tribe of Manessah.

1 Chronicles 5v20 reads “They cried out to God during the battle, and He answered their prayer because they trusted in Him. So the Hagrites and all their allies were defeated.” It caught my imagination, the idea of crying out during the battle. Sometimes the enemy takes a sideways swipe at us that we are not prepared for, and it is in the heat of the battle that we cry out for help. God answered their prayer because they trusted Him, and their enemies were defeated.

We all know that we shouldn’t worry. It accomplishes nothing positive, but we still do it. I like it when God shines a little light that directs us back to him.

No comments: