Followers

Thursday, July 09, 2009

My Day of Tambourines and Dancing


“Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful.” Jeremiah 31:4

This small sentence caught my eye as I was reading through Jeremiah 31 because it contains so much promise and so much hope.

I actually own two tambourines. One is a small one, a kind of tourist souvenir of a tambourine that hangs on the wall in the down stairs toilet.

The other is a real musician’s tambourine. It was on one of my Christmas lists long ago. I was a part of the worship team in the church and lamenting that I didn’t play an instrument, apart from my voice, which on a good day, was passable. I had the heart for worship but had not yet developed the vocal chords to match. I thought that a tambourine would make me feel that I had something musical to contribute. My sense of rhythm turned out to be as hit and miss as the vocal chords. It isn’t the easiest of instruments to wield, not made to measure and a little too heavy for my wrist.

Just lately there hasn’t been that much that prompts me to pick up a tambourine and join in a dance with the joyful. I am more likely to be comfort eating in the café exchanging woeful tales with anyone that will offer a shoulder, or a box of tissues.

That’s what I meant about promise. God doesn’t offer empty words as comfort and encouragement. He knows that there will be a day for tambourines and dancing, because He stands outside of time and He sees it.

He sees what I cannot see right now and tells me that my day for tambourines and dancing is just around the corner.

(Picture from www.nataliedee.com)

No comments: