Followers

Monday, February 13, 2023

The Ripped-to-Shreds List

I stood at the bus stop, my mind engaged in a mental conversation with God. Technically it doesn’t qualify as a conversation as I was not looking for His views on what I had decided to do. There was no exchange happening, so that made it a monologue, didn’t it? I was telling Him. Not asking Him. I didn’t want to be talked out of what I planned to do. It was a good plan I fooled myself into thinking. Reasonable, thought out, pros and cons listed.

I’m church hunting. Much as a house hunter might carry a list of requirements that their new home must measure up to, I have my own list. Determined not to make any instant decisions I have decided to commit myself to a month or two to see what comes or not. I am into week six, although weeks three and four I didn’t do to church as I had a really bad cold. Four weeks of going.

There is a voice in my head that tells me that this isn’t the way to do things, the list. It’s a very detailed list and I’d rather not have to compromise on any item. The voice also tells me that it is not what I get out of going, but what I can contribute.  It should be God directing my path, rather than me marching off in a certain direction, armed with a list.

I crossed through much of the list and just two things remained. If, I said, to God at the bus stop, these two requirements were not met, this would be my final visit. I’d try another church.

Just two things.

The first was worship songs. The church has a very young band who bounce around at the front. I’d not yet met a song I knew. To be honest, the lyrics were ‘me’ and ‘I’ and ‘we’ and ‘us’ and very people focused. I know that God has done a lot and I wouldn’t be where I am without His help. I wanted to praise God without me getting in the way. That condition was not met. Not really. I have to admit that it did not stop me worshipping. There was a line about God rescuing us in one of the songs and I turned my thoughts toward someone who I had long thought impossible to rescue and God did it. I was thankful. It added to my list – that opportunity to testify to God’s goodness. I didn’t know the working of the church to know if I could just go forward and say something, so I kept quiet.

The second thing was about the preacher. I wanted it to be someone else, not because this man is not a great preacher, but because he always preached. I sometimes feel that when a church leader doesn’t invite others to take the pulpit, it can be down to a lack of trust. If you are a church leader and you have grown up and matured people in your flock, why wouldn’t you trust them to speak a godly message? Part of this is down to a church I once went to in South Africa. It was in the years immediately following the end of apartheid. Churches were in the process of integrating people. There were Indian and black members of the church that knew their bibles and had a solid faith walk, but they were not given the chance to speak. No one but the church minister spoke there. It seemed the wrong way to grow gifts in people if they did not have a chance to exercise their gifts. I like variety. I like being a potential part of that variety of preachers.

That requirement wasn’t met. It was the man. There was no different a preacher. However, he began speaking and my list was really torn to shreds.

The word was about Gideon in Judges 6. God had called him a mighty warrior even though Gideon was threshing wheat in a wine press hiding from the enemy. Gideon did not see himself as a mighty warrior and needed some encouragement. The story moves into the fleece prayers.

My own personal fleeces about the worship songs and preacher had not been met. I hadn’t thought of them as being fleeces but they were. The preacher went on to say that Gideon’s actions with putting out the fleeces fitted into the way people did things in those days. They did not have a personal relationship with Jesus. They didn’t have an abiding Holy Spirit within. Fleeces are all a part of chance and randomness and the very fact that Gideon did it twice shows that it did not always give you an answer you could step out in faith on.

Today, he said, we don’t put out fleeces. We pray. We search scripture. We ask wise friends. But we don’t look to chance or random stuff like a red lorry passing by in the next five minutes. Please don’t assume I am not praying, searching the scriptures or asking advice. I am, and others are praying too. And giving me advice.

If there are things from my list not there in the church it does not mean that this is not the church God has ear-marked for me. I have often done things in churches that perhaps were technically not allowed, or not usual or common, but I have had such a burning inside that I have to say something, and I have stepped over or around these things to do them. There’s nothing to stop me asking the music group to sing a familiar song once in a while. If there is no outreach group, it doesn’t mean I can’t start one. It no one shares a poem, it doesn’t mean I can’t. If I want to share a story about the un-rescueable man that God rescued, then I should – or at least find out what the rules are.

Church meetings are not just about worship songs and sermons. My list was defunct. It was after all the worship and the speaking and well into teas and coffees that I discovered there was something important I had not put on my list – fellowship and friendliness. I could have been a psychopath with an axe in my rucksack but someone, knowing nothing about me, offered me a lift home so I didn’t need to dash off to catch a bus. Someone else said to me, ‘I hear you write poetry…’ How did she know I wrote poetry? I’d like to say it was a word of knowledge but another lady in the church had been at the Sunset café way back when I read it out over the noise of a coffee-maker-hiss and the echoes of wooden floor boards.

So list demolished, permission not granted to go elsewhere, I will be there next week. Armed with a poem? Perhaps. Ready with a testimony? Maybe. Talking to a member of the worship team about golden oldies? A possibility. Taking my tambourine? Absolutely yes.


No comments: