Followers

Monday, July 11, 2011

Closer and Closer, Farther and Farther

“As those out to get me come closer and closer, they go farther and farther from the truth you reveal” Psalm 119:150 The Message

I hate to admit it, but sometimes it is not always those who are out to get me that concern me. Jesus never promised that we would be without enemies but challenged us to pray for them.

I also hate to admit it, but sometimes I am one of “those” out to get another who has hurt or upset me. I rarely reach the point where I have the chance to actually get to them to do them harm, and I don’t really have it in me to cause them harm – but the desire is there for a while at least.

The inner dialogue that plays out in my head is not often godly.

God cares about that inner dialogue. It may remain just an inner dialogue, but it pollutes my spirit and there is always the possibility it may spill out in some diluted form.

He warns me that as I get closer and closer to refining my plans for some kind of revenge, I am moving further and further away from the truth that He has revealed to me.

Much rather, God would have me move closer and closer to the truth He reveals, and not just move further away from what my nature desires – but to put to death that nature.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” Matthew 5:9

I best demonstrate the likeness of Christ within me when I choose the path of peace. The family likeness is marred when I seek revenge.

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

Amen - the pathway of truth and peace is always the better one. Great thoughts, Mel - thanks!